Harvest Stuffed Shiitake
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup cashews
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup cooked brown rice (or grain of choice)
- 1 can lentils, rinsed and drained
- ¼ cup breadcrumbs
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 6 large cap Shiitake mushrooms, stems and gills removed
- 1 tomato, sliced into thin rounds
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Brush both sides of mushrooms caps lightly with olive oil and place top-side-down on a lightly oiled sheet pan. Pre-Bake mushroom caps for 10-15 minutes
In large skillet, heat 2 tablespoons oil over medium/high heat and add onions and cashews (add stems and gills here if you would like). Season with salt and pepper and sauté until onions are soft and lightly browned. Add garlic and let cook a few more minutes until fragrant.
In a large bowl combine onion mixture, brown rice or quinoa, lentils, breadcrumbs, vegetable broth, basil, and thyme. Mix together and season to taste with salt and pepper.
Stuff mushrooms with about ½ cup of the lentil stuffing, and then press one tomato slice on top of the stuffing.
Bake for approximately 30 minutes, or until the stuffing is browned and mushrooms are cooked through. Garnish with extra fresh thyme leaves and let the feast begin!